Delicious! – Best treat this Easter, is Melissa’s style Hot Cross Buns stuffed with Melissa’s pecan nut and sultana milk chocolate bark.
2 oranges-zest only
800g bread flour
20g (2 sachets) instant yeast
260g dried fruit cake mix
2 tsp mix spice
2 bars Melissa’s pecan nut and sultana milk chocolate barksEgg Wash1 egg beaten with 10ml milkCross on Buns6 tbsp cake flour
1 tbsp castor sugar
60ml waterSugar Glaze4 tbsp castor sugar
4 tbsp water
- Heat the milk, butter and orange zest in saucepan until butter just melts, then leave to infuse and cool down slightly to luke warm. Note: If the mixture is to hot it will kill the yeast.
- Mix the flour, yeast, cake mix and spices together in a large enough bowl.
- Add the eggs to the milk mixture, whisk lightly and add to the dry ingredients.
- Bring the ingredients together by using your fingers and hands. Start kneading the dough until you have silky, elastic dough. Note: If you find that the dough is too runny, add extra flour, if you find that the dough is to dry then add little warm milk or water.
- Form into a ball and place this back into the bowl. Cover with damp cloth and place in warm area of the kitchen for the dough to rise. The dough should at least double in size. It takes approximately 1 hour.
- Using your hands, punch the dough down and form into 16 even size dough balls. Note: Divide mixture in half, then half again until you have 16 balls.
- Break the chocolate barks into 16 pieces. Each bark should give 8 blocks of chocolate.
- Take each ball of dough and by using your thumb make a whole in the center, then push chocolate into the whole and close the ball of dough. Form a bun and place on tray. Continue this process until you have your 16 buns.
- The buns should be snug on the tray but not touching. Using back of knife, score the tops with an imprint of a cross.
- Cover with damp cloth and leave to rise again for 1 hour. The buns should have risen and almost joined.
- Brush the buns with egg wash.
- Mix the flour, sugar and water to a smooth paste (almost dough) Using your fingers roll the dough into snakes to create the cross on the buns.
- Bake in pre heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the buns come out of the oven, mix the sugar and boiling water for glaze and brush each hot bun to glaze them.